Saturday, October 11, 2014

Yorktown/Jamestown

We did a lot of siteseeing when we first arrived in Virginia.  I wanted to soak up all the history my brain could possible hold, and I made sure to drag my two favorite men with me!

Yorktown Battlefield
Our first stop was the Yorktown Battlefield (http://www.nps.gov/yonb/index.htm).  "Discover what it took for the United States to be independent as you explore the site of the last major battle of the Revolutionary War.  Here at Yorktown, in the fall of 1781, General George Washington, with allied American and French forces, besieged General Charles Lord Cornwallis’s British army.  On October 19, Cornwallis surrendered, effectively ending the war and ensuring independence."









Jamestown
It was a beautiful scenic drive from Yorktown to Jamestown (I think Aidan and I will go drive this again since the leaves are currently changing colors)!  It was probably close to 100 degrees that afternoon and the humidity was high (for us Colorado peeps anyhow).  We made this adventure very quickly and with much dripping sweat!
"The Virginia Company sailed from England to try to establish the first permanent English colony in the New World. Their instructions were to settle Virginia, find gold and a water route to the Orient. The explorers landed on Jamestown Island on the banks of the James River on May 14, 1607. (http://www.virginia.org/JamestownVirginia/?gclid=CPGE1a_ipMECFZSPfgodwxAAOg)"













1 comment:

Greg and Nancy said...

It looks so beautiful there!! I'm glad you're having so much fun exploring. :)